I avoided re-watching the Wake Forest game as long as I could, but finally broke down tonight. I’m still very pissed about the outcome so I’m gonna go rapid fire on my observations from the game. Here we go:
- The tackling on Wake’s first TD (31 yd pass to Campanaro) was absolutely pathetic.
- Will Baumann’s punting was spectacular … 40.5 net yards per punt and 3 punts inside the 20 (2 inside the 10).
- With our experienced secondary, the receiver on the trick play TD pass should have never been that wide open.
- Curtis Underwood ran the ball very well (12 carries, 56 yards, 4.7 ypc).
- Niklas Sade absolutely drilled both of his FGs (45 yards & 37 yards).
- The offensive line played better than the Liberty game, but they still have a lot of improving to do.
- George Bryan, you’re a Senior Captain … Catch! The! Ball!
- Third down conversions killed us on both sides of the ball. The defense allowed Wake to convert 50% of third downs and our offense only converted 36%.
- In a game against Wake and we got the only flag for chop blocking? I call bullshit on that one.
- The penalty on T.J. Graham’s long kickoff return was ticky tack.
- David Amerson went from a stud last week to a scrub this week.
- Tobais Palmer is a playmaker. We need to get him the ball more.
Offense – Grade: C
We ran the ball well, but got behind so early that we had to abandon the run. Glennon struggled in the first half, but showed signs of life in the second. He ended up with a good stat line, but needs to be more consistent and find ways to sustain drives (40% of his yards were on two “heave and hope” throws). Glennon overthrew a lot of receivers and when he did hit them they had too many drops.
Defense – Grade: D
The defensive line didn’t generate any pressure all day. The linebackers didn’t make any big plays. The secondary struggled mightily in pass coverage. The tackling of the defense as a whole was horrendous. The only reason this isn’t an F is because they kept Wake off the scoreboard in the 4th quarter and gave the offense a chance to win the game.
Special Teams – Grade: A-
Our punting and kicking couldn’t have been better, but our kick coverage wasn’t very good and we had a penalty that negated a HUGE T.J. Graham kickoff return.
Coaching – Grade: F
After all the talk about how this team is the deepest and most talented team we’ve had under this coaching staff, you can’t lose to Wake Forest. The team was not ready to play and plodded through the first half for the second week in a row. Right now this team does not look like a bowl team so this staff has a tough job on their hands.